August 3, 2012

Review: Demonglass by: Rachel Hawkins


Demonglass (A Hex Hall Novel) by: Rachel Hawkins
Publisher: Hyperion Book
384 pages
Genre: Young Adult/Romance/Fantasy
Spoiler Alert! This review contains information from the first book in the Hex Hall series.

Summary: After discovering she is a demon, Sophie must make a choice. Her powers are dangerous and she believes that the only way not to hurt anyone she loves is to go to London with her father for the Removal. All the while she is missing Archer Cross, her crush who also happens to work for the group trying to get rid of supernatural creatures, The Eye.

Review: The first book in this series, Hex Hall, wasn’t one of my favorites, but I have the need to finish a series once I start it so I went ahead and checked out the second book. I found Demonglass to be more attention grabbing and actually make me care a little bit more about these characters. Even though this still isn’t one of my favorite books it was a nice quick read and I will still read the next book.

There are two things I really enjoy about this book. One, there are a lot of interesting creatures and people in Sophie’s drama filled life. Although some of the supernatural creatures are not new to the young adult supernatural fantasy novel there are a few things that are different. Not many of these books focus on demons and this book’s main character is a demon. Second, Sophie has a unique and witty personality and I enjoy the banter she has with the other characters. I would have to say that Sophie is a pretty good female heroine in a young adult novel. She is strong, becomes more mature as time goes on, and of course she is funny.

Luckily although this book doesn’t take a lot of mental energy to read, it does have some pretty exciting action. On the other hand, the one big twist in the book was completely easy to call in advance. This was disappointing. I know I read a lot and can easily foretell the plot twists in most novels but there is usually still a small surprising little something that happens, but not in this book.  I will however tell you that the ending does leave you with enough mystery to want to read the next book.

When and why you should read this book: Read this book if you read the first one. Read this book if you want an easy read. Read this book if you like young adult fantasy books with a lot of interesting supernatural creatures.

If you haven’t read the first book in this series I’m not sure I would say it is worth it to read this one. It was unique compared to other young adult fantasy novels, but nothing too exciting. I really enjoy reading young adult novels but this one just doesn’t stick to my mind as much as many others do. 

Also, you definitely need to read the first book in this series before reading this one. There is a quick recap of the events that occurred in the first book but not enough to be very helpful. 

Rating: 3/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top