December 6, 2012

Review: Carnival of Souls by: Melissa Marr

Carnival of Souls by: Melissa Marr (2012)
Publisher: HarperCollins
320 pages
Genre: YA Fantasy

Summary: I couldn’t do this summary justice so I took this off the Barnes and Noble website. “In a city of daimons, rigid class lines separate the powerful from the power-hungry. And at the heart of The City is the Carnival of Souls, where both murder and pleasure are offered up for sale. Once in a generation, the carnival hosts a deadly competition that allows every daimon a chance to join the ruling elite. Without the competition, Aya and Kaleb would both face bleak futures—if for different reasons. For each of them, fighting to the death is the only way to try to live.”

Review: I am a fan of Melissa Marr’s other young adult novels so I gave this one a try. I was in no way disappointed.

I am still a little shocked that this is a young adult novel. I know there is “The Hunger Games” where teens are forced to fight to the death, but this goes beyond that. So here is my warning, there are some very in your face adult sexual themes and death in this book.

There are three main characters in this novel. Kaleb is a daimon, one that struggles to stay alive in the caste system of The City. He will do anything to make sure him and his pack mate can live, and I mean anything. Aya also plays with fire and is handling adult situations, and let’s not forget about Mallory. She doesn’t live in The City, but in the mortal world where witches have been forced to live, and she lives a very interesting life.

There is no shortage of action, romance, mystery, and friendship in this book. There are twists and turns that will make your head spin and action scenes with Aya and Kaleb that will make you root for them like no tomorrow.

Although this book can be somewhat confusing at times, don’t give up hope. Everything becomes clearer the more you read. You may have to double back and re-read a few passages but it will be worth it. The complex world that Marr created is nothing short of cringe worthy awesomeness.

Are you a fan of Melissa Marr? Did you enjoy “The Hunger Games” and “Divergent” and other books like those? If you answered yes to those questions then there is no doubt in  my mind that you will enjoy this one. Even the cover is enticing.

Rating: 5/5   BUY Carnival of Souls

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read CARNIVAL OF SOULS yet--I'm teasing myself with it, holding off like it's a lovely slice of cake I don't get until after dinner. But those stills and snippet make me reconsider. Maybe it's time!

    Grace Crawford Olympia WA Landscaper Evergreen Valley Landscape

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top