July 21, 2014

Review: The Princess in the Opal Mask by: Jenny Lundquist

The Princess in the Opal Mask by: Jenny Lundquist (Oct. 2013)
325 pages
Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy
Publisher: Running Press Kids
Source: I bought it!
Goodreads Summary: Every Fairy-Tale Ending Has a Price. . .

Orphaned as a child in the crumbling village of Tulan, Elara is determined to learn her true identity, even if it means wielding a dagger. Meanwhile, in Galandria's royal capital, Princess Wilha stands out as someone to either worship or fear. Though no one knows why the king has always made her conceal her face—including Wilha herself.

When an assassination attempt threatens the peace of neighboring kingdoms, Elara and Wilha are brought face to face . . . with a chance at claiming new identities. However, with dark revelations now surfacing, both girls will need to decide if brighter futures are worth the binding risks.

My Review

I chose to read this book simply because the cover is gorgeous, I don’t regret that choice. The Princess in the Opal Mask is a sweet fairy tale fantasy novel. It’s a little gritty and completely likeable. It’s an easy, nice, sometimes adorable, and always interesting read. I was weary when I first started reading, but I quickly changed my attitude, I was weary for no reason.

This fairy tale is told from the dual point of views of two young women, Elara and Wilha. Both are different, both unique, and both are very interesting. While reading I flip flopped back and forth between which girl I liked the most. I honestly still don’t think I know. Elara and Wilha grow and change throughout the novel and have their own unique issues, making them characters I very much enjoyed reading about.

I was also very fond of the author’s easy to follow storytelling. It is rather simple, but it didn’t bother me and I don't think that The Princess in the Opal Mask having this quality is a bad thing, it does make the book a good choice for younger teens as well as older. I also didn’t find the plot overly unique, but that also didn’t really bother me. Although the whole novel is less complex than a lot of fantasy novels I have read, it wasn’t any less of a good solid story. The plot is nicely paced, but I was kind of sad that there aren’t a lot of surprises.

Bottom Line: I liked The Princess in the Opal Mask a great deal. Next time you are in the mood for a slightly lighter less complex fantasy novel then this should be your pick. It’s a good book, a solid story full of interesting characters, and I will be reading the second one.

4 comments:

  1. I think I will enjoy this one :) I don't mine less complex stories, as long as they don't read too young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was really a cute book! Worth adding on your TBR. :)

      Delete
  2. Okay, I'm a cover addict myself and I don't think I could pass this one up very well myself. It sounds wonderful. I enjoy escaping into these reads often with my one of my daughters - so this may be a great choice for my. Wonderful review, Kay :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter what the synopsis said I saw the cover and just knew I had to read it. :) I think it would be a great choice to share it with one of your daughters.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top