October 6, 2014

Review: Graduation Day by: Joelle Charbonneau

Graduation Day (The Testing #3) by: Joelle Charbonneau (June 2014)
304 pages
Genre: Young Adult/Dystopian
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Source: The library
Goodreads Summary: In a scarred and brutal future, The United Commonwealth teeters on the brink of all-out civil war. The rebel resistance plots against a government that rules with cruelty and cunning. Gifted student and Testing survivor Cia Vale vows to fight. But she can't do it alone. This is the chance to lead that Cia has trained for - but who will follow? Plunging through layers of danger and deception, Cia must risk the lives of those she loves - and gamble on the loyalty of her lethal classmates.

My Review

Graduation Day is how every young adult trilogy should end, strongly. With even more tests and enough action guaranteed to never let you become bored, this trilogy deserves to be read.

Graduation Day begins right where the last book, Independent Study, left off. This left me a little confused at first since I couldn't clearly remember everything that happened and everyone that was in the previous novel. Luckily a few more pages in and I felt refreshed and quickly emerged back into Cia’s world. The politics and tests were back in full force and I was full of anticipation.

Cia is just as clever as ever in this final installment. She continues to be a strong leader. I missed her character a great deal. I thought all of the other characters were interesting and complex as well, it’s just too bad we didn’t get more time with Cia and Thomas together. I like their relationship and I don’t mind that it is in the background since more important things are going on, but it would have been nice to see them together a little more, making their relationship more real. That and only one small thing made this read only 4.5 stars instead of 5. There is one thing that happens in the book that kind of rubbed me the wrong way, but that was it. (I don't want to mention it since it would be a spoiler.) I also started to catch on to the big ending sooner rather than later so no huge surprise this time, but that didn't bother me since I was never 100% sure until the end anyway.

The Testing trilogy is one young adult dystopian that shouldn’t be overlooked. The first book may seem a little too much like The Hunger Games, but I can guarantee that each book becomes more unique. The best thing Graduation Day has to offer, (finally) a strong solid ending to a young adult dystopian trilogy.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with basically everything you said except I am curious what rubbed you the wrong way and I totally didn't see that ending coming. But I love books with tests in them and clever characters and I thought this was just nonstop excitement. I want this series to get more attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely deserves more attention! For some reason with the ending I just had this feeling the whole time I was reading and then I was right and I got excited because I'm not always right. The one thing that bothered me was Cia's use of tests, even though it made sense and I of course like all the tests in these books, it was just so ironic. lol I don't know. I still loved the book. Okay, done rambling for now. :)

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed The Testing, so I'm happy to hear the ending of the series was just as strong. Cia seemed like such a clever heroine and I'm glad that stayed the same. Glad this was great read for you Kay and wonderful review :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top