July 3, 2015

A Field Guide: What to Do When It's Book Release Day

Before The Big Day - Be Prepared

If you took the day off work so you could have a whole day of uninterrupted reading or if you have the day off already, congrats! If you can't do either please don't worry, you have three options. 1. Read the book in shifts. 2. Go to work sleepy the next day. OR 3. Wait to read it until you have a whole day off.

DO
This one is pretty self explanatory.

DO
Sleep a LOT before the big day, because once you have that book in your hands you probably won't.

DON'T
Stay out partying all night.

DO

Tell people that you will be unavailable for the next 24 hours. Warn people to just stay away.

DO

Find your reading space and pimp it out (make sure a bathroom isn't too far away since you will be drinking a lot of fluids).

DO
Gather snacks.

DON'T
Eat too much in advance to help ease your craving for food while you are reading. Hence why you should have snacks handy. Preferably snacks that are easy to eat while reading because we all know you won't stop just to eat.

DO
Make sure you have caffeine and a lot of it nearby.

Have you done all of the above? Yes? Good. You are ready. It's time. The release day for that book you have been dying to read (you know, the one where the previous book in the series had a big cliff hanger) is finally here!

The Big Day

DO
Get excited!!!!!!!!!

At this point you either grabbed your copy at midnight and are already reading, (there are still some midnight release parties for books right? There should be.) or
if you pre-ordered a copy you are waiting for the mail to arrive. If that is the case then you should...

DO
Try to be as patient as possible.

DON'T
Get aggressive with the mail person.

Or maybe you just straight up bought the e-book copy at midnight and will get a physical copy later. I've done it before. I don't regret it. Anyway, at this point you now have the book.

The Book is In Your Hand


DO

Take a second to realize that the wait is finally over.

DO
Pet, hold, caress, sniff, etc. the book to your heart's content. I'm sure the book likes it too.

DO
Read. Read. Read. 


Additional Advice/Encouragement if Needed


If you have in fact been doing nothing but reading since you got your hands on a copy of that book you have been dying to read and start to get tired... don't let sleep win. Just remember...

DO
Shake it off, BUT don't feel bad if you need to take a short nap.

DO
Remember that this is the Best. Day. Ever.

There you have it. A field guide on what to do for book release day. I hope you enjoyed this post! I had a lot of fun putting it together. It helped pass some of the time as I continue to wait for Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas to be released. I guess I still have a ways to go, but at least I will be prepared for when the wonderful time finally comes!

10 comments:

  1. HAHAHA!!! LOVE THIS POST! It's all so very true. Especially the part where I basically blank all other human beings and pretend they don't exist until I have finished my book. IT'S THE ONLY WAY!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it!!! I had such a fun time putting it together. I agree, IT IS THE ONLY WAY!!!! Humans do not exist during that time.

      Delete
  2. That was brilliant Kay. BRILLIANT. Waiting for the mail is the most torturous part. I feel like I would be that puppy with the mail. I've actually almost never had to prepare myself for a new release coming in the mail apart from All the Bright Places. I would have needed this field guide if I knew beforehand how much I was going to love it. I have warned my parents before to leave me alone if I'm reading a particularly good book. They are aware but they still decide to try to talk to me anyway...

    And wow Kay. I just read your bio which I'm sure I've read before and I just found out your name is Allison. I feel deceived lol (;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!!!! :D <3

      Waiting for the mail is KILLER! It's the worst when it comes at the very end of the day. I always tried warning my parents as well, but they didn't always get it. Sigh. I think I will now have to read All the Bright Places!

      I just added that my real name is Allison. hahahaha I don't know why but when I first started blogging I used my middle name and stuck with it.

      Delete
  3. Great post Kay! Love the advice!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha I love this post!! And Queen of Shadows was totally the book I had in mind while I was reading through these :) Unfortunately I will have work the day after it releases and will need to sleep that night so will probably read t much slower than everyone else but just having it in my possession will make everything 1000x brighter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why is Queen of Shadows not out yet?!?! Why?!?! I have to work that week too actually so maybe we will be on pace together!

      Delete
  5. such a great post. I always thought the book liked it too. thats why i do it right.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top