March 14, 2016

Review: Stars Above by Marissa Meyer

Stars Above (The Lunar Chronicles) by Marissa Meyer (Feb. 2, 2016)
369 pages
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Source: I bought it!
Purchase: Barnes & Noble | The Book Depository | Amazon
My Rating:
Goodreads Summary: The enchantment continues....

The universe of the Lunar Chronicles holds stories—and secrets—that are wondrous, vicious, and romantic. How did Cinder first arrive in New Beijing? How did the brooding soldier Wolf transform from young man to killer? When did Princess Winter and the palace guard Jacin realize their destinies?

With nine stories—five of which have never before been published—and an exclusive never-before-seen excerpt from Marissa Meyer’s upcoming novel, Heartless, about the Queen of Hearts from Alice in Wonderland, Stars Above is essential for fans of the bestselling and beloved Lunar Chronicles.

My Review

The Keeper: This was the perfect story to kick-start this collection. I loved getting to read more about Scarlet's grandmother and Scarlet's life when she was younger. I also really enjoyed getting to read about this story first hand, the story where Cinder first makes her appearance on earth. I can't wait to read the next story. I already have so many feels!

Glitches: I don't think there is going to be a single story I won't enjoy in this collection. This story really sets up Cinder's life with her stepmother. I am glad I got to see a little bit into her past. Plus, spending more time with Peony was beautiful and heartbreaking. What a lovely girl.

The Queen's Army: This story wasn't as strong as the other two. The events that took place were nothing surprising, and I think that is why I didn't enjoy it as much. It did give me more respect for Wolf, but that is about it. I did like the story, but I am not sure it brought anything new to The Lunar Chronicles like the other ones have so far.

Carswell's Guide to Being Lucky: I can never get enough page time with Thorne. He was just as cocky and adorable when he was 13. This was a sweet story that highlighted a little bit of how Thorne grew up. I enjoyed getting to meet his parents. If only all the short stories were about Thorne's entire life, then I would be even more happy. ;) He is too charming for his own good.

After Sunshine Passes By: This story features Cress, who just so happens to be as cute and lovable as ever. We get a short glimpse of her life as a shell before she was stationed in the Satellite. My heart goes out to her. I liked this one a lot.

The Princess and the Guard: Honestly, Winter is the best. She is cute, captivating, and broken, yet stronger than anyone. Seeing Jacin and her together always makes me smile. This may be my favorite short story to date. I loved getting to see these two friends when they were younger. I really enjoyed getting to know them both a little better.

The Little Android: I am not sure how to put my feelings into words for this one. It was really good, and nothing like what I was expecting. This story isn't about any of the main characters from the series but a whole new one. It was interesting.

The Mechanic: I totally forgot there was going to be a short story where Cinder and Kai meet for the first time but is written from Kai's point of view! I do adore him so. This story just made me want to go back and read the whole series all over again!

Something Old, Something New: Sweet. Beautiful. Enchanting. Charming. Hilarious. I WANT MORE! I am forever thankful that Marissa Meyer gave us this little epilogue wedding story, but it still didn't fully fill my cravings for these characters. However, it really was a magical ending to a long and hard and wonderful series. I will miss these characters. Luckily I can always read the series again.

In the end... you are going to want to add this book to your collection! Don't miss out on these wonderful short stories. Who wouldn't want more time with these memorable characters? Read it. Read it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top