June 20, 2016

Review: With Malice by Eileen Cook

With Malice by Eileen Cook (June 7, 2016)
320 pages
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Source: The library.
Purchase: Barnes & Noble | Amazon | The Book Depository
My Rating:
Goodreads Summary: It was the perfect trip…until it wasn’t.

Eighteen-year-old Jill Charron wakes up in a hospital room, leg in a cast, stitches in her face and a big blank canvas where the last six weeks should be. She discovers she was involved in a fatal car accident while on a school trip in Italy. A trip she doesn’t even remember taking. She was jetted home by her affluent father in order to receive quality care. Care that includes a lawyer. And a press team. Because maybe the accident…wasn’t an accident.

As the accident makes national headlines, Jill finds herself at the center of a murder investigation. It doesn’t help that the media is portraying her as a sociopath who killed her bubbly best friend, Simone, in a jealous rage. With the evidence mounting against her, there’s only one thing Jill knows for sure: She would never hurt Simone. But what really happened? Questioning who she can trust and what she’s capable of, Jill desperately tries to piece together the events of the past six weeks before she loses her thin hold on her once-perfect life.

My Review

I love reading a good thriller during the summer. I am glad that With Malice's cover caught my attention enough to read it because I did enjoy it so.

With Malice is full of secrets, complex characters, and an interesting mystery. Jill was on a trip to Italy, only she can't remember any of it. She wakes up in the hospital with no memory of the trip or the accident that landed her there. I enjoyed Jill's journey of recovery of not only her memories, but her grief. I found her roommate while she was in rehab to be my favorite.

I think the mystery aspect of the book was pretty good, but I wasn't a fan of the ending for many reasons I don't want to say because of spoilers. I still enjoyed the book though.

I would recommend this book to others who want a quick mystery to read this summer. Sorry I don't have more to say on this one, but I didn't take notes while reading and I am just not coming up with the words. Happy reading!

4 comments:

  1. With Malice is the first thriller I've read in some time and I really enjoyed it too. I love how it the reveal is slow and always keeps us guessing and doubting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. With Malice is definitely one of the 'good' YA thrillers. I have read so many that have just taken a wrong turn and I like how well done the mystery aspect was done in this book! Same here. Wasn't a huge fan of the ending and thought it was really a cheap giveaway. Hope to read more by her though and I'm glad she managed to keep my attention throughout the entire book.

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! I look forward to this next author's book. Perhaps it will be even better.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top