August 29, 2016

Review: Edge of Glory by Magan Vernon

Edge of Glory by Magan Vernon (May 2016)
262 pages
Genre: New Adult Romance
Source: I bought an e-book copy.
My Rating:

Goodreads Summary: "Welcome to Conti's. I'm Lia and I'll nguhhhhhhhhhhhhh".

I froze. Directly facing me was Olympic swimmer, Jay Morningstar… and I just made an idiot of myself.

The rest of the table looked up to see me standing there with my mouth practically gaping. His coach, who I recognized from TV interviews, and even two other swimmers from the Olympic team... they didn't say anything, they didn't even blink.

"Uh… I mean…"

I couldn't even put together my words and Jay Morningstar was just staring at me with that Wheaties box smile and those icy blue eyes.

What was I supposed to say? Sorry I just made a weird noise, it's just that I have a poster of you on my wall where you are wearing nothing more than your gold medals, a smile, and a pair of man panties?

My Review

Edge of Glory wasn't a bad book, but it wasn't a great one either. I was a little disappointed by this Olympic swimmer romance. Since I was really into watching the summer Olympics I thought it was the perfect time to give this new adult novel a try.

Lia has a crush on Olympic swimmer Jay Morningstar (yes, that is his name), and one day he walks into the restaurant her family owns and their meet cute happens. It's too bad this happened in the first chapter. I felt like I didn't really know Lia yet and therefore from the very beginning I wasn't really invested. I did start to care as the novel went on though... Anyway, there is a case of insta-like and then pretty much right off the bat they are together. It all seemed a little too easy to me.

Then the story takes off. I liked Lia and Jay's interactions a lot. I could feel the heat. I just didn't like that Lia was such a pushover and doubted herself every second of the way. It may have been relatable and realistic to a degree, but it was a little much. The plot had some fun things going on, but there are two major scenes that made me mad. I won't get into that because it would ruin the story for you, but let's just say they seemed a little sexist to me.

No matter how many negative things I may have just focused on, I did still enjoy the book. I just wish it would have been better. It had a lot of potential but ultimately if fell a little flat. It could have been more complex and even a little more fun. In the end, it was just okay. It had its cute moments.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm.... well even with the flaws it still looks like a nice fluffy read. It is pretty perfect for this time of year too. I wish it was more about them training together or something then they fall for each other.
    Side Note: Jay Morningstar reminds me of Lucifer Morningstar on the show Lucifer.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Copyright © 2015 It's a Book Life All Rights Reserved · All Logos & Trademark Belongs To Their Respective Owners | Template by These Paper Hearts
Back to Top